Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

For the wishlist: protected sections and editing of recordings

Started by edi, March 16, 2006, 09:12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

edi

Hy everybody,

Chris, thank you for VOMP, this is great stuff! I used vdr-plugin-mediamvp before, and the step from that to vomp is a step from 19th cetury to 21st...

I have two points for the wishlist though...

First, it would be great to have support for cutting recordings to get rid of the commercials. I have a 'headless' VDR, so I can't cut the recordings with VDR. BTW: does anybody know a software for linux to cut VDR-recordings i.e. MPEG2 transport streams?

The second wish is support for password (PIN) protected recordings. My children watch TV and recordings with vomp, and I have some recordings, I don't want them to watch (not that sort of recordings you might think of right now :-)... I didn't had the time to setup an development system yet, but had already an idea how to implement this feature: If a folder contains a file '.pin' which contains an pin like 12345, then vomp pops up a menu to enter it via remote control and show the recordings in that folder only, if the pin is entered correctly.

Cheers,
edi

edi

BTW: does anybody know a software for linux to cut VDR-recordings i.e. MPEG2 transport streams?

I found ProjecX (http://www.lucike.info/ , in german ), a swiss army knife for MPEG. It converts from and program stream to transport stream (i.e. DVD/SVCD <-> VDR)  and can be used to edit recordings and ather material. It's a java program, so it runs on every platform. Very recommendable.

Cheers,
edi

Chris

Hi edi, glad you like vomp. I also run a headless VDR so I can't cut recordings either. If I want to format a recording into some other format then I would use ProjectX to demux it, then Mpeg2schnitt to cut it, and then ifoedit if I were going to burn it to DVD. As for cutting with vomp... Recently vomp has started to use VDRs own index file for the recordings for some things. I havn't looked into it myself yet but I guess all this is going to be connected, it might be possible to use the VDR cutting features streaight from vomp. I shall have to investigate.

As for pin protected recordings, I don't really want to start creating extra files in the recordings directories - this would probably only confuse VDR. Maybe it is the only way to do it though?!

riban

Chris

You could mark recordings as protected / limited access by putting entries in a conf file in the plugin directory like you do for resume points though this would need to go in a global conf file, not one per client. You could combine a global and individual client conf files to allow restrictions on which box is allowed to watch certain programmes.

I am concerned on this point myself. I intend to install a mvp in the kids play room but need to restrict the live streams and recorded programmes they can see.

Walt

papablues

There is already some PIN content controll plugin available. ( pin-plugin )
Perhaps it would be possible to use that ?

NPlayed

Quote from: edi on March 20, 2006, 08:53:57
BTW: does anybody know a software for linux to cut VDR-recordings i.e. MPEG2 transport streams?

I found ProjecX (http://www.lucike.info/ , in german ), a swiss army knife for MPEG. It converts from and program stream to transport stream (i.e. DVD/SVCD <-> VDR)  and can be used to edit recordings and ather material. It's a java program, so it runs on every platform. Very recommendable.

Cheers,
edi

I also use ProjextX for demuxing (-demux option). After that, I use Cuttermaran for cutting (so far on windows) and then ProjectX with the options -tovdr -split 2000, agian (to make the results VDR compatible again). Rename the resulting files to 001.vdr, 00N.vdr and put them back to the directory of the original recording (maybe backup the org files for some moments).

At least I am able to watch the cut files using vomp.