Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

New Features

Started by Schnurps, October 15, 2005, 20:50:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnurps

Hi all!

I would like to start a discussion about new features for VOMP.
Even though it is not yet christmas today, here is my list of wishes for the next versions to provide a basis for further discussion.
In the end it is doubtlessly Chris' decision what to implement, but perhaps it is interesting for him to get some information about his users' wishes to help him writing the new list ("Soon I will write a new list.")  :)

1. Teletext /Videotext (perhaps this mustn't be rendered by VOMP but by the TV? Heard that this is the way VDR does it...)
2. TimeShifting in LiveTV (preferably as permanent Livebuffer - cp. http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=37309)
3. now/next-EPG-All-Channel-Overview (On-Screen over LiveTV)
4. Internationalisation
5. On-Screen Volume-Bar
6. Direct selection of tv-channel by numbers with on-screen display (problem: waiting X sec. until no key is pressed, to see if channel 1, 13 or 139 is wanted)
7. full EPG (not On-Screen? - with possibility to easily set timers)
8. view/edit/set/delete/(de)activate Timers and Auto-Timers
9. Possibility to select alternate audio-tracks in TV (if available)
10. Sleeptimer-Function

I am anxious to get your opinions! :-)

Schnurps

AronSira

Hi,

.. my wishlist:
1.) EPG - for me the best is TVonScreen (link: http://www.js-home.org/vdr/tvonscreen/index.php) + setting Timers
2.) Recording
3.) Tele/Videotext
4.) Timeshifting
5.) Radio
6.) Audiotracks
7.) Timers / Autotimers
8.) addtional possibility on StartUp to do a Wake On Lan for the VDR Server used and a Shutdown

[[just dreaming ;D ;D ;D:  forget 1,2,3,7 and invent something really cool like remote and OSD for VDR (for using alle the xxx plugins for VDR etc...)]]

@Chris: when do you think the base is stable (you wrote something about rewriting the gui library), so I can try to implement something for VOMP ?

Robert

mephisto

Hey,

my only wish: integrating into the mplayer/mp3-plugin to watch any type of media on my vdr server.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Regards,

Mephisto

Chris

Here's my thoughts on your ideas:

Schnurps:

1: Very difficult, probably won't do it. I had a look at the MHEG spec which is how digital TV teletext works over DVB and it's a nightmare. (Well, it would just take a very long time to implement and there is so many other things to do first). Maybe subtitles work in a simpler way, but I doubt it, which would throw subtitles into the same situation.

2: I plan to do this by making the record button set a timer on VDR for the current programme, then have the client switch to watching the recording. Maybe it will remember that it did this and display how far behind it is, and other gui type things like that.

3: This already works?!

4: Yes, planned. Dave is working on this actually. Maybe he has finished it - I havn't got around to looking at the patch yet !  :-[

5: This already works?!

6: Yes, planned. What is there now works if you always remember to put the leading zero in first yourself if necessary. I agree the current implementation is err, basic. Unfortunately a better version depends on some evil gui work which I havn't done yet. Said work will also fix a few other things...

7, 8, 9: Yes, planned. Later....

10: Hadn't thought of this, but is it really all that necessary.. the MVP uses exactly the same amount of power in either state.. I suppose it could disconnect from VDR, or maybe the TV would start its own timer when the signal went away...

AronSira:

I think most of yours are covered above. But for 8: The MVP couldn't know which MAC to send a WOL signal to, and shutdown the VDR server is a bit specific and bad for security... Would have to see other people's opinions on that!

As for the GUI code, I half did the rewrite - it's in CVS now. There is still more to do though, but I don't think those changes would drastically affect any addons you could write. They are more about management of the views rather than whole scale gui changes. So you could risk it....... ;)

And as for my list of wishes.... See the SourceForge RFE page :) And the others I have I will keep to myself I think, as I'll probably not get around to them :)

Wesie

stream:
1) Audio CDS
2) S/VCD
3) DVD

Schnurps

Hi Chris,
Quote3. now/next EPG (On-Screen over LiveTV)
--> 3: This already works?!

I thought, actually there is just a EPG for the selected channel. I meant an "What's on now?"-Now/Next-Overview for all channels (like in the MediaMVP-Plugin - I really appreciate this function. :-)

Quote4. Internationalisation
4: Yes, planned. Dave is working on this actually. Maybe he has finished it - I havn't got around to looking at the patch yet !  Embarrassed

Jippieh!  :D :D :D
Really looking forward to it!
Please keep me in the loop!

Quote1: Very difficult, probably won't do it. I had a look at the MHEG spec which is how digital TV teletext works over DVB and it's a nightmare. (Well, it would just take a very long time to implement and there is so many other things to do first). Maybe subtitles work in a simpler way, but I doubt it, which would throw subtitles into the same situation.

What a bummer. Perhaps sometime there will come a MHEG-freak who codes this...  ;D

Quote2: I plan to do this by making the record button set a timer on VDR for the current programme, then have the client switch to watching the recording. Maybe it will remember that it did this and display how far behind it is, and other gui type things like that.

Nice to hear that you are planning this function. But I am not realy sure if this way has not too many disadvantages.
E.g., when I dont shut down the MediaMVP and the timeshifting-tv goes on, the recording would quickly fill the hdd.
Do you want this to manually turn on the TimeShifting, or to to let Timeshift always be activated?
I think it would be better, if there is a "Recording-Loop"in which are always the last XX [option] minutes of the tv saved. So the older tv should be overwritten by the newer... (mhm, difficult to describe in english...)

Schnurps

Wesie

the timeshift function is now vailable for the VDR :) . In the plugin setting, you can say, how much Memory the funktion can be use on HDD and if you want to use the TimeShift or not.

Is it now only the question, if the MVP VOMP Software supported the "Pause" and Replay Key in the LiveTV option .

In this contense a bloody question:

It is possible to insert the "OK" button in play Mode ( for streamed Records and LiveTV Timeshift ) to see the MARK from Noad and jump via key 7 and 9 to the next or previews mark. I`m with the jumping to stupid ;) at the MVP. This will be a very nice feature ...